Facilities - Annual Notification
AHERA “Annual Notification”
On Oct. 22, 1986, Congress promulgated the Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA), Public Law 99-519. AHERA mandated that EPA develop regulations to respond to asbestos in schools. On October 30, 1987, EPA promulgated the Asbestos-Containing Materials in Schools Rule (hereinafter referred to as the AHERA Rule), 40 CFR Part 763, Subpart E. This rule requires that all of the nation's nonprofit elementary and secondary schools, both public and private, inspect their school buildings for both friable and non-friable asbestos-containing building materials (ACBM) and develop a plan to manage any discovered asbestos for each school building.
This is to give an “Annual Notice” that the Appling County School System has updated the (AHERA) Asbestos Management Plan as required by the Environmental Protection Agency of all public and private elementary and secondary schools in the United States, under Federal Law, 40 CFR 763, Subpart E. The school district has met the requirements including this Annual Notice as describe in the subsequent paragraph. The Management Plan is available for your review if you so desire in the main office of each school as well as the Board of Education Central and Maintenance Office.
The Appling County Schools AHERA designated contact person is Eddie Wynn and is located at the district's Maintenance office. He may be contacted at 912-367-8600.
General LEA (Local District) Responsibilities
Under § 763.84 of the AHERA Rule, the LEA must follow these general responsibilities:
- Ensure that the any person who performs the following are in compliance with all of the AHERA Certifications and/or Requirements: inspections, re-inspections, periodic surveillance, develop or update Management Plan, develop and implement response actions and/or conduct maintenance or custodial activities.
- Ensure that each building undergoes an initial Assessment and Inspection plus the required Re-inspection every 3 Years. As part of an ongoing monitoring process the school system conducts a walk through Surveillance in or about every 6 months.
- Ensure that all custodial and maintenance workers are properly trained to deal with any maintenance or custodial activity that deals with asbestos containing material.
- Ensure that workers and building occupants and legal guardians are notified at least annually concerning activities relating to the Management Plan.
- Ensure that short-term workers who may come in contact with asbestos in a school are provided the location of all confirmed or assumed ACBM.
- Ensure that warning labels are properly posted in required Maintenance areas.
- Ensure that (AHERA) Management Plans are available for inspection and review.
- The school district constantly updates and monitors its Management Plan and engaged in abatement or removal process.
AHERA Annual Notification
( 18.1 KB )