Family Support Services
Family Support Services is a non-entitlement program which brokers disability specific services based on each individual and families unique needs. Family Support Services are based on the value that families belong together and individuals are best served in the community setting. These supports meet every day needs that are often critical in avoiding family crises. The goal of Family Support Services is to assist in maintaining a cohesive family unit and to assist the individual to live at home in the community.
Individuals, age 3 and up, living in Georgia that have been diagnosed with a developmental disability who are living at home, with their family, and are not currently receiving a NOW/COMP Waiver, are eligible for Family Support Services.
Eligible diagnoses include, but are not limited to:
- Developmental Disability
- Intellectual Disability
- Cerebral Palsy
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Down Syndrome
Family Support Services brokers services and goods that are individualized to meet your family’s needs. A Family Support Coordinator will work with your family to develop an Individualized Family Support Service Plan. Some of the services might include:
- Information and referral.
- Assistance in identifying needs.
- Advocacy to obtain needed services or benefits.
- Assistance locating and acquiring services such as:
- Respite Services
- Family Education
- Special diets, clothing, and personal care items
- Other services and supports unique to each family's needs
Apply for Services
You may contact Karen Tharpe, Parent Mentor for the Appling County School System for assistance or visit the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities website for assistance .
- Application - Complete an application for Family Support. A packet of information about Family Support Services, which includes the required application, is available for download below. You may also pick up a copy of the Family Support Services packet at the Appling County Board of Education office. The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities website also has the information available to download.
- Family Support Agreement - Complete Family Support Agreement. A packet of information about Family Support Services, which includes the required agreement, is available for download below. You may also pick up a copy of the Family Support Services packet at the Appling County Board of Education office. The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities website also has the information available to download.
- Documentation - Provide supporting documentation of the identified developmental disability. Supporting documentation includes documents that indicate the individual has been diagnosed with a developmental disability, including:
- DD Intake and Evaluation Assessment through a DBHDD Regional Office
- Psychological Evaluation
- School IEP
- Medical Verification of ID/DD by a Physician
- Social Security Disability
- You may return your completed Family Support packet and required documentation to Karen Tharpe, Parent Mentor at the Appling County Board of Education located at 249 Blackshear Highway, Baxley, GA 31513 for assistance with submitting your completed application/agreement to your selected provider agency. The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities website also has the information available on where to submit your completed requests.
Appling County - Georgia Providers for Family Support Services:
- B & B Care Services, Inc. (Office: Springfield)
- Easter Seals Southern Georgia, Inc. (Offices: Waycross, Albany, Valdosta, Americus)
- Pineland Behavioral Health/Developmental Disabilities (Offices: Jesup, Statesboro)
For additional information or assistance please contact: